Monday, November 28, 2011

Homemade Salsa

I can't believe I forgot to post about our homemade salsa!!  I made it around the time we made the pasta sauce back in September.


Salsa Recipe:
8 cups Roma tomatoes, diced
4 Cubanelle peppers, diced
2 cups white onion, diced
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 cup sweet red peppers, diced
1/2 cup jalapeno pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2-5 1/2oz cans tomato paste
2 tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. coarse salt
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 cup parsley, chopped (add at the end)


Bring all ingredients but parsley to a boil and simmer for 2 hours. Add in parsley and Enjoy! You can 
adjust the heat to your taste. 1/2 cup of jalapeno is mild, I removed seeds but left the membrane.


Finished Salsa... Delicious!


I made it while Aaron was at work and Megan had been napping.  I was concerned about the heat so I didn't add many jalapeno peppers; Aaron and I love heat but the kids like to eat salsa so we needed to be careful.  We got the recipe form Aaron's cousin and had tried their batch and really enjoyed it.  I didn't have tomato paste or enough vinegar so Aaron brought some home after work... but with less vinegar (only 1/4c) and no tomato paste it tasted fantastic and could have been eaten then as a FRESH SALSA!  I started cooking the salsa before getting the extra ingredients and just added them once Aaron got home.   My only issue with how it turned out was the vinegar... I should have used a good quality AC vinegar but used no name and adding 3/4c late certainly didn't help, although it didn't cook it long before Aaron got home.  We then canned them up and used the boiling water bath method for preserving (link for how to).

No comments:

Post a Comment