Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Soap recipe

I found a simple recipe for homemade soap... no-weighing even!  We have a scale but this just seemed like an easy, fool proof first recipe to start with.  I have been having a difficult time finding some of the oils and specialty ingredients that many recipes call for.  The recipe I found and plan to use uses simple ingredients found at most grocery stores.

Recipe:
750grams (26.46 oz) coconut oil
700 grams (26.69 oz) olive oil pomace grade
900 grams (31.75 oz) shortening
342 grams (12 oz) lye dissolved in
650 grams (22.93 oz) distilles or deionized water

I will also add some colourant 1-2 teaspoons... possibly tumeric or cinnamon, 118ml (.05 cup) finely ground oatmeal and a fragrant oil of some sort such as lily of the valley or lavender.

The canwax website in canada is great and has most ingredients but they want to charge me almost $20. for shipping.  I am hoping to get a few batches under my belt and then go onto more difficult and elaborate recipes, then I will order more fancy ingredients and place a huge order and get a few batches worth of supplies at a time.  I wanted to make soap and give them away as Christmas gifts but I won't have the time, but I will definitely be making soap for my own families use.  Hopefully sooner rather than later... Christmas holidays are always so busy!

recipe from Soap Maker's Workshop

No comments:

Post a Comment