Monday, February 13, 2012

Homemade Fruit Soda

I have been playing around with soda recipes lately.  Some recipes have come from a soda book I borrowed from our local library but some I have just thrown together.  One recipe from the soda book is a Pomegranate Elixer.  Pomegranate as with blueberries are packed with antioxidants which help your body neutralize free radicals, which have been implicated in the growth of cancerous cells and in cell aging.  So needless to say, they are great for your body.  The recipe called for 1 tablesoon of agave syrup or simple syrup, but I decided to opt out of adding extra sugar since the fruit would provide enough to satisfy my palate.

Pomegranate Blueberry juice Recipe:
- 1 cup fresh blueberry juice (I simply mashed some blueberries until somewhat smooth)
- 1 cup pomegranate juice (purchsed POM-unsweetened) 

Makes enough for 3 servings.

Method for elixer:
- 2/3 cup Pomegranate Blueberry juice
- 2/3 cup seltzer

I may be tempted to boil down the Pomegranate Blueberry juice to help concentrate it to allow the drink to be more fizzy.  It could also have benefited form a small squirt of lemon juice to brighten it a bit... if you add the sugar, likely no lemon juice would be needed.



Strawberry Vanilla Fizz.
Since this Pomegranate Blueberry Elixer was so tasty I decided to try it out with some strawberries.  So with some blended strawberries and a drop of vanilla extract I added about 1/2 cup of the strawberry Vanilla puree to 1/2 cup of seltzer and it was beautiful... and oh so very refreshing.

I have to say I am totally loving my SodaStream.  What a good call by me!  I simply love being able to make healthy sodas to drink... not having to recycle a bunch of cans or to be fighting back against the ever growing Soda Pop Epidemic.  I highly recommend any family who find themselves drinking more than a pop a week to consider purchasing their own sodastream... it's good for the wallet, health and environment.  You simply cannot beat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment