Monday, February 13, 2012

Rosemary Sage Sugar Scrub

Winter really takes a toll on my skin. My skin tends to dry out easily. If I don't guzzle back 10-12 glasses of water each day my skin is dry and chapped. I finally decided to whip up a sugar scrub for the first time. I had seen many recipes for homemade sugar scrubs but decided to create my own with what I happened to have on hand. In the fall we dried out some rosemary and sage from the garden so it seemed to be the perfect thing to use to achieve a nice herbal earthy scent. Sugar is a natural exfoliant, does not clog pores, helps eliminates blemishes and helps restore  skins oil balance.  My choice for an oil was simple. Coconut oil is an effective skin moisturizer, delaying wrinkles and sagging as well as helping to treat various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema. Coconut oil also helps in preventing premature aging and degenerative diseases due to its antioxidant properties. I also used a bit of olive oil, which is an excellent skin exfoliant, to loosen the mixture. This scrub makes my hands look and feel smooth and soft. I made a small batch to use at the kitchen sink for my hands but I think I may just whip up a large batch for in the shower for an all over body scrub... I have to imagine it would be amazing for a deep scrub on the feet, knees, elbows and any other rough areas you may have and then as a soft rub for all over!

Crushing and adding herbs then EVOO.
TADA!
Rosemary Sage Sugar Scrub (small batch):
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of finely crushed dry rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon of finely crushed dry sage
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil

Simply mix ingredients in a bowl until you have a paste.  Add extra olive oil until you reach your desired consistency.

Use:
Simply wet hands in warm water (never hot as this takes away the natural oils on your skin) and scoop out a teaspoon worth and scrub.  Rinse then pat dry with a towel.  You don't want to rub them dry as this will take away the oils from your hands.  It will leave your hands feeling slightly oily which will last about 2-3 minutes and then it absorbs leaving you hands feeling silky smooth.  Since there are no chemicals to cause the oils to wash away they actually remain on your skin.   How wonderful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment