Wednesday, April 16, 2014

I have Psoriasis

1 of my many small spots of psoriasis
I have recently discovered some random spots on my legs and arms. Turns out I have psoriasis, which is an auto-immune disorder which is generally inherited; y grandma was a long time sufferer which explains that.  I am thankful that so far my case seems to be quite random, but I am finding more and more spots regularly.  I have been doing plenty of research online to discover ways to treat, prevent and deal with this newly discovered ailment I have. Considering the array of auto-immune disorders out there, this one is relatively minor and certainly not life threatening. For me, so far, the condition is very mild. There are over 7 million people who suffer from psoriasis so I know I am far from alone. There are many home remedies out there. So far I purchased an ointment from the drug store which contains coal tar which is regarded as being one of the best treatments for psoriasis. After purchasing the ointment I decided to research the active ingredient which turns out to be TOXIC, EEEK!! Here is an excerpt from wikipedia with regards to its safety:

"According to the National Psoriasis Foundation and the FDA, coal tar is a valuable, safe and inexpensive treatment option for millions of people with psoriasis and other scalp or skin conditions.[14] Coal tar concentrations between 0.5% and 5% are safe and effective for psoriasis, and no scientific evidence suggests that the coal tar in the concentrations seen in non-prescription treatments is (or is not) carcinogenic because there are too few studies and insufficient data to make a judgement."

In light of this, I will use the ointment only when I am unable to achieve comfort through home remedies. In my search for help I have come across a few home remedies that I feel may be very helpful. Vitamine D* is known for slowing down cell growth. Since Psoriasis is basically an overgrowth of skin cells, applying topical vitamin D should definitely help. Also, simply moisturizing more regularly as well as not using soaps with harsh chemicals. I plan on using Avocado Oil with Vitamin B12** since it contains omegas which have also been shown to reduce symptoms and severity of psoriasis, It is simply a matter of me finding a pre-mixed cream or making one myself. These are the home remedies that I feel stand the best chance based on their properties. I also am trying to alter my diet a bit, sitting back on grains. I am aware of people who have had success with this alone. I am a lover of breads and pastas but I do believe cutting back is always a healthy move, regardless of psoriasis. I have purchased a Spiralizer to make veggie pastas and also have a Bread Machine to make paleo breads.

Considering this is an overly visible disease, it becomes that much more difficult to live with. I have made a vow to myself to never let it change what I choose to wear not how I view myself and my beauty.  It is not something that is catchy or dirty and is nothing to be ashamed of. I will not hesitate to speak of it if asked about the spots and I will also educate others about the disease.

Paleo Bread:
http://snapguide.com/guides/bake-paleo-friendly-bread-in-a-bread-machine/(HOW TO)
http://paleogrubs.com/bread-recipes(21 Recipes)

*Info on the link between Vit. D and Psoriasis
**Medical Study of B12 cream containing Avocado Oil to treat Psoriasis

More Great Info on THIS SITE (University of Maryland Medical Center)
The National Psoriasis Foundation also has a discussion board that many may find very helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment